Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 5.0L Performance

Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

Cranks but wont fire

I've been toying around with my 95 GT, putting a 347 stroker in....should have been done long ago, but you all know how life gets in the way. Lack of play money or time, many times both. haha Anyways, I just moved and since I got everything in place in the garage I got to looking at the car and I got anxious to see if I could get it started so I decided to fire it a bit early....

No spark, no fuel pressure...
Where should I look? I think I have some good ideas, but I wanna hear what totally impartial minds think.

When I parked the car 4-5 yrs ago, everything worked fine. It has fuel in the tank, although its only about 4 gallons. I dont hear the pump prime when I turn the ignition on. This is verified by not getting any fuel to shoot out the schrader valve after trying to crank it. I have no spark verified by not getting any spark from the coil when the plug wire is removed.
Am I wrong or did I hear a long time ago that the dist. pickup tells the car to give fuel pressure on startup? The distributor is original and I seem to have had it rebuilt a couple years before the new motor was built. But I know that doesnt mean it couldnt have gone bad since then either. thanks guys
MRBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
modo
That Guy

correct. once the pickup in the distributor syncs (knows where #1 is based on the smaller vane on the stator wheel).

if the key is on you should be able to just rotate the distributor and be able to trigger the fuel pump prime. injector pulse is also timed via the distributor

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

So then swapping the dist. For a known good one (the one from my cobra) should be a solid first step?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
modo
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs View Post
So then swapping the dist. For a known good one (the one from my cobra) should be a solid first step?
Worth a shot

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
331 LX

Same sh1t my car is doing... Good luck. I'm about to take my car to someone finally.

I put in a new pump relay.. everything.

Edit- I've got a distributor at the shop I may try lastly..
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

I havent had a chance to mess with mine because I just got home last night from a business trip. So I'll see if there is something I left hanging or if the dizzy is the answer. Ugggh.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
331 LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs View Post
I havent had a chance to mess with mine because I just got home last night from a business trip. So I'll see if there is something I left hanging or if the dizzy is the answer. Ugggh.
Did you try the dizzy yet?

I found one out at our shop, gonna swap it out when I get home from work tonight..

Dennis- You have any more Diags for fuel pump wiring? I'm also going to pull the gas tank and see If I can find anything there as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

Mine was a bad fuse. I had to go thru with a fuse tester to find it. It didnt look burned out, but it couldnt light the tester. So I pulled it out... no mas problem.

Now I just need to get it to TDC and try my luck.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

BTW I shot this just to hear how it'd sound since I was able to figure out my problem and timing. Still need to set the idle and obviously cap the exhaust since the headers are still open, but I had to get a little taste just to be sure it'd fire. I didnt give it any gas and just let it stall out.... I'm loving this thing again.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10703...86097256317479