Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > General Discussion > Clubhouse

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Scud
Very stable genius

Create executable from excel doc?

Wrote a small excel doc for calculating commissions etc for work. I'd like to make it into a little exe to run like a stand alone program. Is this possible from excel or does it have to be written in visual basic? Do I have to go back to the days of making puNterZ!??
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCC View Post
There's more proof that God exists compared to global warming.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
imdebo96
ne rien de la journee

What did google say?
imdebo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
phat azz ride
RIP Dimebag

http://web2.0calc.com/
Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat azz ride View Post
No.

The calc I made is set up to build in a % commission using a fixed base price where the commission will be deducted and arrive at my original base price (costing me nothing)

Its a simple little tool to quickly calculate final prices based on varying % of commissions. Excel works fine, but would be nice to just pull up a quick exe a la the built in windows calculator. Not a big deal if no can do, just figured I'd see if it were possible.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
MustangFan
MW Girls > *

Another Scud thread

MustangFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
Red98Stang

Just create a macro.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
Sublime GT
Badfish

Jesus dude, why do you do this to yourself?
You want to create an executable? Just use a macro.

edit: I'm not sure you even need a macro. Looks like the only variable is commission? What are you looking to do, just change one commission value and see the results? Something like that takes 2 seconds to open and punch in. Not sure what you're trying to do here

Last edited by Sublime GT; 03-25-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Sublime GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #8
NJ99GSX

http://www.excel2exe.com/
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime GT View Post
Jesus dude, why do you do this to yourself?
You want to create an executable? Just use a macro.

edit: I'm not sure you even need a macro. Looks like the only variable is commission? What are you looking to do, just change one commission value and see the results? Something like that takes 2 seconds to open and punch in. Not sure what you're trying to do here
Not sure how I could have been more clear. I don't need a macro. It's a simple excel doc with 2 variables. Base price and commission percentage. You put in your base price and the percentage required and it returns to you the price you need to charge where after the deduction of the percentage you still have your original base price. For example if the commission is 10%, you need to increase your base price by 11.11%. The excel doc just does this for you for whatever percentage is input. It works fine, I just didn't know if it was possible to convert to a little program like one made in basic that would look similar to the calc app as opposed to opening excel every time.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
99GT281
Coyote Club

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Sublime GT
Badfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Not sure how I could have been more clear. I don't need a macro. It's a simple excel doc with 2 variables. Base price and commission percentage. You put in your base price and the percentage required and it returns to you the price you need to charge where after the deduction of the percentage you still have your original base price. For example if the commission is 10%, you need to increase your base price by 11.11%. The excel doc just does this for you for whatever percentage is input. It works fine, I just didn't know if it was possible to convert to a little program like one made in basic that would look similar to the calc app as opposed to opening excel every time.
Not without some considerable work. You don't need something as robust as VB to do it. AutoIt or similar would probably do it, and could even make a GUI with something like KODA. Based on the information you've provided, you're going to have to input two variables regardless, so how is running an .exe any quicker than running the .xls* and inputting the variable there?
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Not without some considerable work. You don't need something as robust as VB to do it. AutoIt or similar would probably do it, and could even make a GUI with something like KODA. Based on the information you've provided, you're going to have to input two variables regardless, so how is running an .exe any quicker than running the .xls* and inputting the variable there?
It's not, I was just going for a nice clean look I guess. Not really a big deal just me being anal.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
paintgod93

Just use a macro.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintgod93 View Post
Just use a macro.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
beefjerky
ice snob

Why not just use calc.exe? You need to multiply two variables. The amount of time necessary to create an app, even a simple console app, would be more than the added time just using calc over an entire lifetime.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
Why not just use calc.exe? You need to multiply two variables. The amount of time necessary to create an app, even a simple console app, would be more than the added time just using calc over an entire lifetime.
I don't think you understand what I am trying to do. Its more than just multiplying two variables.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
beanbat

Every so often, I find that I'll stop and ask myself why I'm paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do the work I do. My work seems so easy, so straight forward, and far too simple to be that valuable (not to mention that half the time I don't even know WTF I'm doing). Then I come across a thread like this and remember, "oh yeah...it's because I'm basically competing against people like scud"
Old 03-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #19
CA_Harry
Champion of the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbat View Post
Every so often, I find that I'll stop and ask myself why I'm paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do the work I do. My work seems so easy, so straight forward, and far too simple to be that valuable (not to mention that half the time I don't even know WTF I'm doing). Then I come across a thread like this and remember, "oh yeah...it's because I'm basically competing against people like scud"
CA_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Get a new angle, or find a worthwhile thread to bash me in, because this isn't one.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #21
Sublime GT
Badfish

Quote:
It's not, I was just going for a nice clean look I guess. Not really a big deal just me being anal.

While you're at it, you should write an .exe that launches a GUI with a textbox for you to write posts in, with a "Submit Reply" button in it, that when executed, posts your post.

It's a good thing your dad owns a business for you to work at.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #22
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:

While you're at it, you should write an .exe that launches a GUI with a textbox for you to write posts in, with a "Submit Reply" button in it, that when executed, posts your post.

It's a good thing your dad owns a business for you to work at.
I get that you're going for the 'hey I'll try to be witty and flame' approach, but it just doesn't work here. I don't THINK you're too stupid to understand why it might be simpler to have a GUI with a couple text boxes vs an .xls, so quit pretending you are.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
7wenty
Unregistered User

I'll write it into a program for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7wenty View Post
I'll write it into a program for you.
Ok, do you need the formulas?
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
Sublime GT
Badfish

Quote:
I get that you're going for the 'hey I'll try to be witty and flame' approach, but it just doesn't work here.
You created a thread asking people how to write a program that tells Excel to do what it already does, and which would take much more effort. How witty do I need to be?

Quote:
I get that you're going for the 'hey I'll try to be witty and flame' approach, but it just doesn't work here. I don't THINK you're too stupid to understand why it might be simpler to have a GUI with a couple text boxes vs an .xls, so quit pretending you are.
To address your edit: You're comparing a GUI with a couple of text boxes, vs. a GUI with a couple of text boxes You're too stupid to quantify how intelligent or unintelligent I am, so quit pretending you are.

Last edited by Sublime GT; 03-25-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #26
7wenty
Unregistered User

Quote:
Ok, do you need the formulas?
Well unless you want me to guess your formulas.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
BlackBeachGT
Viejo hombre

You could use google docs and scripting to do what you want man. Probably reuse the VB script you already wrote.
BlackBeachGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #28
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
You created a thread asking people how to write a program that tells Excel to do what it already does, and which would take much more effort. How witty do I need to be?

To address your edit: You're comparing a GUI with a couple of text boxes, vs. a GUI with a couple of text boxes You're too stupid to quantify how intelligent or unintelligent I am, so quit pretending you are.
The excel doc works fine, but as mentioned I like a small, neat interface. Its a wonder why that's a difficult thing for you to comprehend.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #29
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
You're too stupid to quantify how intelligent or unintelligent I am, so quit pretending you are.
I'll just leave this here.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #30
Ralph 01 GT
NAZI ADMIN

You should go all out and make an app for your phone.
LNPWC #004
MWTHJ #012
2015 Audi S3 Quattro
2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 - SOLD
2008 Audi S4 Quattro - SOLD
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT - SOLD
2001 Mustang GT - SCT tuned: 448 RWHP - 428 RWTQ - SOLD

My Vorteched/Intercooled 2001 GT
Facebook

RIP Jay (DaMightyAnteater) 2/15/10
http://www.mustangworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=635448
Ralph 01 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #31
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph 01 GT View Post
You should go all out and make an app for your phone.
Not a bad idea.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #32
Sublime GT
Badfish

Quote:
The excel doc works fine, but as mentioned I like a small, neat interface. Its a wonder why that's a difficult thing for you to comprehend.
No, I understand completely. You're metro about everything, including this dumbsh1t little formula that nobody else with something meaningful to do would give a fvck about. If you had a real job, this utterly mindless sh1t would never occur to you. You don't have any real responsibilities at daddy's company, so you have to make cute little programs to aggrandize the few menial tasks you're given. I bet you have a really colorful e-mail signature too that after days of arduous refining, you finally found the *perfect* font for.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #33
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
No, I understand completely. You're metro about everything, including this dumbsh1t little formula that nobody else with something meaningful to do would give a fvck about. If you had a real job, this utterly mindless sh1t would never occur to you. You don't have any real responsibilities at daddy's company, so you have to make cute little programs to aggrandize the few menial tasks you're given. I bet you have a really colorful e-mail signature too that after days of arduous refining, you finally found the *perfect* font for.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
beefjerky
ice snob

I'm sure this isn't pretty enough, but here you go.

scud.exe
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
I'm sure this isn't pretty enough, but here you go.

scud.exe

Mine is prettier though.
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #36
beefjerky
ice snob

Quote:

Mine is prettier though.
but is it an executable?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #37
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
but is it an executable?
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
beanbat

Quote:
Get a new angle, or find a worthwhile thread to bash me in, because this isn't one.
Wrong. This is a pretty fvcking retarded thread. If you had any sense at all, or if you spent half the time learning something useful as you do browsing men's fashion magazines, you'd have realized that you could code something like this in about 5min using javascript, python, perl, or any multitude of other simple, easy to understand programming/scripting languages. The only thing threads like this prove is just how useless a human being you are. What skillset do you have that's relevant AT ALL in our modern society?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #39
Scud
Very stable genius

Quote:
Wrong. This is a pretty fvcking retarded thread. If you had any sense at all, or if you spent half the time learning something useful as you do browsing men's fashion magazines, you'd have realized that you could code something like this in about 5min using javascript, python, perl, or any multitude of other simple, easy to understand programming/scripting languages. The only thing threads like this prove is just how useless a human being you are. What skillset do you have that's relevant AT ALL in our modern society?
I'm not the one with the inflated self worth. That's you. This was a pretty simple inquiry among many simple inquiries on this off topic message board. It's a good thing you're here to police it though just so we can be clear on what's worthwhile(or not).
Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #40
beanbat

Quote:
I'm not the one with the inflated self worth. That's you. This was a pretty simple inquiry among many simple inquiries on this off topic message board. It's a good thing you're here to police it though just so we can be clear on what's worthwhile(or not).
It's a pretty stupid question, scud. The fact that you don't think so really just shows how completely ignorant you are. Like I said, why not spend your time acquiring useful new skills instead of figuring out which jeans to buy?