Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > General Discussion > Clubhouse

Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Nicoleski
I make boys cry.

Anyone here own a bloodhound?

Looking to rescue a dog and found a 1 year old female at the local shelter. Breed info says they're very gentle and good with kids, but also protective over the house. Exactly what Im looking for in a breed.

Any of you douchebags own one?

And yes I know your lab/ german shepherd/ pitbull / etc is a better dog. But that's not what Im asking.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
4me2have2
GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

you called the one person on here that owns a bloodhound a douchebag

do you realy think he is going to answer you now
4me2have2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Skidmark
Hug it out b1tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4me2have2
you called the one person on here that owns a bloodhound a douchebag

do you realy think he is going to answer you now
I think half of these f@gs would stick their c@ck in a blender if she asked them to
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
gut
Lurking

I have a black and tan male that's almost two. Get a lab.
gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Nicoleski
I make boys cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut
I have a black and tan male that's almost two. Get a lab.

That's it? Would any of your reasons have to do with him being a male? The breed info says they're much more difficult than females.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Snatch98
The Enlightened One

Location: BACK! to the Burgh! pens, pirates, pittb*lls, Dobermans, My lab, Steelers, Democrats, Ralph >*
You 100% need a fenced in yard because from what I know they'll lock down on a scent and zone out. A family friend had one get hit by a car after he snuck out of the house. They don't have the longest life expectancy because they are pretty big and like most "game" dogs they need to be "challenged" or they'll get bored and a bored dog is a destructive dog. They also mature slower than most so they'll stay in that phase for a while unless you really take control. My sisters bf breeds bird dogs which obviously aren't bloodhounds but have similar traits. We were actually talking about bloodhounds the other day because the son of a family friend is looking to place one right now. He's moving and the dog can't come (Something I'll never understand, take on a dog it's a life long commitment)

If you want a dog that is great with kids and protective look for a Doberman rescue in your area. You should also seriously consider a Pit Bull or a Amstaff (larger Pit Bull) and yes I'm aware this isn't what you're asking. However absolutely nothing wrong with a bloodhound and if you have a fenced in yard I'd have at it. I've loved the ones i've been around BUT they are constant drool machines

Good luck with whatever you decide but I'd definitely hit a bloodhound specific message board and just ask a bunch of questions. It's what I did before I took the plunge with our Doberman. He's an amazing dog and I'm glad I did the research ahead of time. Good luck.

RIP Jayan Kavia aka DamightyAnteater
PSN: Oprah_FTW_Frey
135 IQ

Last edited by Snatch98; 05-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Snatch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
SteelDust
Clip in the Strap

I've got a redbone coon hound. Pretty close in demeanor to the bloods, just a lot more athletic. She's been an awesome "pet", defies everything that a hound should be. 8 acres, tons of animals coming and going and she'll never pick up a scent and take off. Will come back with a single voice command. Hounds are typically great family dogs if they don't have too much of the drive that they are bred for. Her only downside...god damn she's loud and vocal. It's a pretty bay, if you like that sort of thing...guarantee your neighbors won't. Friend of mine lives almost 2 miles, straight line, away from me, and if the gets into a good bay, he can hear her.

When we bought ours, she came from a long time breeder of redbones. The one we got was actually slated to be in the show ring, had the breeder not gotten pregnant and not able to show for a while. They would section the litters into dogs going to pet homes and and dogs going to outfitters and people that were going to hunt them. Last thing they wanted was a puppy that wouldn't hunt going to an outfitter, ruins their reputation and usually ends up with a dog that just gets shot.

It comes down to there being a lot of variation in any of the hound breeds. Some will take off at the slightest whif, some are content to lay on the porch in the sun for 18 hours a day. Being a rescue dog, you're just going to have to take that chance if you are interested. The bottom denominator with hounds though....is loud and vocal.
SteelDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
LSx
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatch98
You should also seriously consider a Pit Bull or a Amstaff (larger Pit Bull) and yes I'm aware this isn't what you're asking.
Yeah, because she wants one of those ticking time bombs around her kid
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Cream Puff
Mod with Fox with Mods >*

hey you have a tiny child that could easily be killed.. lets suggest a fvcking pitt bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky
She could be a serial killer, and I would still love her tenderly every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkin
Everywhere I go, I leave a trail of super models that are bow-legged and bruised.
Cream Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
gut
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleski

That's it? Would any of your reasons have to do with him being a male? The breed info says they're much more difficult than females.
Being a male might have a little to do with things, but I had him snipped about eight months ago, and he's been steadily improving on his alpha type behavior since then. He had a bout with food/water aggression which took a couple months to work out of him, and occasionally at the park he'll push another male around but he's never actually been in a fight.

I could probably write a book based on the things that I've learned first hand about the breed in the past couple of years, so it's really hard to even scratch the surface in a brief reply. However, in the spirit of being helpful I will say if you are serious about getting a Bloodhound, realize they aren't an "easy" breed to own, and they require a lot of patience. It took me a while to get in the routine of wiping him down every day to keep his skin and coat clean, scrubbing the slobber off the walls, ceilings, and furniture, pulling 3 ft. long pieces of paper towels out of his butthole, and his ears need to be cleaned every few days. Sometimes he wants to be my best friend, other times he doesn't want to have anything to do with me. He does love company though, and is very affectionate toward other people.

I think to have a bloodhound, you need to be a dog person because they generally take a little more effort compared to more common breeds. Also, they don't really have any interest in pleasing you unless there is something in it for them.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
BlackVenom96
wants his 16k posts back.

Quote:
If you want a dog that is great with kids and protective look for a Doberman rescue in your area. You should also seriously consider a Pit Bull or a Amstaff (larger Pit Bull) and yes I'm aware this isn't what you're asking.
oh good fvcking gawd.

MWGC #4006
BlackVenom96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Narrator
All aboard!

I had a pitbull clear a six foot fence the other day to come say hi to me while I was jogging. Owners on the front porch started screaming their heads off, which made me think he was going to latch onto my throat or something. Luckily he was friendly. Had those cropped ears and whitish blue eyes which is a little unnerving when it's sprinting at you

Get a lab.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
HEMITHS
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut
Being a male might have a little to do with things, but I had him snipped about eight months ago, and he's been steadily improving on his alpha type behavior since then. He had a bout with food/water aggression which took a couple months to work out of him, and occasionally at the park he'll push another male around but he's never actually been in a fight.

I could probably write a book based on the things that I've learned first hand about the breed in the past couple of years, so it's really hard to even scratch the surface in a brief reply. However, in the spirit of being helpful I will say if you are serious about getting a Bloodhound, realize they aren't an "easy" breed to own, and they require a lot of patience. It took me a while to get in the routine of wiping him down every day to keep his skin and coat clean, scrubbing the slobber off the walls, ceilings, and furniture, pulling 3 ft. long pieces of paper towels out of his butthole, and his ears need to be cleaned every few days. Sometimes he wants to be my best friend, other times he doesn't want to have anything to do with me. He does love company though, and is very affectionate toward other people.

I think to have a bloodhound, you need to be a dog person because they generally take a little more effort compared to more common breeds. Also, they don't really have any interest in pleasing you unless there is something in it for them.
Jesus.
HEMITHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
gut
Lurking

Here's a couple pictures of Leopold from his puppy days, I don't have any good ones that are more recent.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
LightningLX
uhhhhhhh uhhhhhhh uhhhhhh

Get a more low maint dog.
I learned something new from steeldust. That faking howl thing they do is called "bay".
Now to use it in a sentence.

Neighbor's hound woke me up from my afternoon nap. I shot it mid bay.
i ate chicken friday saturday and sunday with a 40 oz.
LightningLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
gut
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningLX
I learned something new from steeldust. That faking howl thing they do is called "bay".

Mine rarely bays, but when he does, it's loud. The cable guy asked if I had a seal in the home one day after he knocked on the door. I keep a bark collar on him when I'm away so he won't bother the neighbors.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
LSx
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningLX

That made me laugh
Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
DarkSmoke
In your wet dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut

Lol. My neighbor growing up had dalmations and the one ate their daughter's barbie dolls. They were out in the front yard pulling body parts out the dog's bunghole that got lodged halfway out.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Snatch98
The Enlightened One

Location: BACK! to the Burgh! pens, pirates, pittb*lls, Dobermans, My lab, Steelers, Democrats, Ralph >*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Puff
hey you have a tiny child that could easily be killed.. lets suggest a fvcking pitt bull

Great dogs and they're great with kids. It's up to her to see past the stereotype but there are plenty of converts on this very site. They just don't post anymore or post sparingly. All it takes is to be around one that isn't fvcked up by a dip sh.it.

Good with kids, protective of the family. Try reading a breed profile or do I need to post temperament testing percentages again? You know the one where they out score Golden Retrievers.

RIP Jayan Kavia aka DamightyAnteater
PSN: Oprah_FTW_Frey
135 IQ
Snatch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #20
MacGruber
Semper Fidelis

Whatever you decide, I'm glad you're adopting. I adopted Ellie a little over 3 years ago and I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever have a better, more loyal dog. It's like they know you saved their life.

MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
stick

We have a rescue blood hound and he is a great dog. He listens to commands, loves to please, doesn't slobber like most blood hounds. GF also had a show dog that was actually in Westminster that died a few moths ago. He was more the typical bloodhound who slobbered a lot and was very rambunctious but very fun to be around. They do take more work than most dogs because they can be slobbery, they need their ears washed out once a week to avoid infection. They also need to be bathed once a week to avoid smelly infections in their skin folds. They also have a shorter than average life span. The plus side is they are very laid back dogs who get very attached to their owners. Ours waits outside the shower even for me and follows me everywhere. They are usually great around kids because they dont have the "herding" instinct like some working dogs.

Here is the rescue:
-Ported Eaton, Dragon TB & plenum w/ JLT cold air
-2.76 Billetflow pulley with 100mm idlers
-C&L 95mm MAF, MAFia, Kenne Bell BAP
-Bassani catback, BBK catted mid pipe
-315s on the back, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
-MM IRS Diff/Subframe/Control Arm/Rack Bushings
stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
Element
4V FTW

Should just get a cat, they are very gentle with children and make excellent pets.

/snatch
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Nicoleski
I make boys cry.

Thanks guys... I'm at the pics and stories. Im not opposed to any breed of dog, but I do take into consideration that I live in a mostly ghetto black/hispanic area so chances are the pitbulls at the shelter will have had sh1tty owners that taught them bad habits (like chewing my daughters face off)... so I'm going to steer clear for that reason alone.

I'm going to go spend some time with the bloodhound and see how I feel. There's also an aussie shepherd puppy that I'm interested in, although I didnt really want a puppy I love how loyal/protective the breed is.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
mustangguy01
M-I-Z Z-O-U

Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
SteelDust
Clip in the Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gut
pulling 3 ft. long pieces of paper towels out of his butthole,
For a year or two my redbone developed a tasted for the wife's underwear. She kept one of them inside of her for two full weeks. My vet said this is totally impossible, but...I watched her eat it, and I held her while my wife gloved up and pulled it out....a full two weeks later. Thank god she got out of that habit.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
skipperjohnn
MW Member # 1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy01

Laser Red Crew #002
Quote:
Originally Posted by asschafer
this thread is a who's who of retardation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togo
that twizzler learned a valuable life lesson.. if you punch a guy in the face and he barely moves, you best open a can of haul ass ASAMFP.

I owe Rice4Breakfast $1
skipperjohnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #27
Narrator
All aboard!

get a pitbull and put it in bloodhound-face
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
SteelDust
Clip in the Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy01

Those were redbones, not bloodhounds.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
wheelspin
Horsepower Happens...

May I suggest the greatest breed of dog ever... A Schipperke...very, very smart, hearty, brave & loyal... also called Little Black Devils....

Here is a pic of me with one of ours...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by wheelspin; 05-21-2012 at 09:08 AM.
wheelspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #30
Cream Puff

Quote:
Great dogs and they're great with kids. It's up to her to see past the stereotype but there are plenty of converts on this very site. They just don't post anymore or post sparingly. All it takes is to be around one that isn't fvcked up by a dip sh.it.

Good with kids, protective of the family. Try reading a breed profile or do I need to post temperament testing percentages again? You know the one where they out score Golden Retrievers.
whens the last time you saw a news article of a golden retriever going nuts and attacking some kid, exactly.

Quote:
Quote:
Everywhere I go, I leave a trail of super models that are bow-legged and bruised.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #31
Cream Puff

Quote:
Thanks guys... I'm at the pics and stories. Im not opposed to any breed of dog, but I do take into consideration that I live in a mostly ghetto black/hispanic area so chances are the pitbulls at the shelter will have had sh1tty owners that taught them bad habits (like chewing my daughters face off)... so I'm going to steer clear for that reason alone.

I'm going to go spend some time with the bloodhound and see how I feel. There's also an aussie shepherd puppy that I'm interested in, although I didnt really want a puppy I love how loyal/protective the breed is.

Thanks for the info.

nicole i have 2 aussies, go for it you won't be disappointed, they are one of the most fun, loving dogs I've ever had and if its a puppy you can train it properly to do what you want instead of an older dog that may or may not listen

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
wheelspin
Horsepower Happens...

just kidding with the above pic but they are the greatest dogs ever... When ever our little boy is sick one of out males "Max" will get on his bed with him and not leave his side till he is feeling better....

A 1 y/o just recently came up on the rescue from NorCal....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
wheelspin
Horsepower Happens...

Quote:

Thanks for the info.
Just a caution... shelter dogs are usually in terrible shape health & temperament wise. Just pick out a good rescue and get one from them, their dogs have been in a foster homes and their temperament has been well evaluated and they have had proper health evaluations & care.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Puff
whens the last time you saw a news article of a golden retriever going nuts and attacking some kid, exactly.
You know Snatch is scouring the fvcking internet right now trying to find every article he can about breeds other than pitbulls attacking kids.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Bullitt

Pits:

Goldens:
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
wheelspin
Horsepower Happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
You know Snatch is scouring the fvcking internet right now trying to find every article he can about breeds other than pitbulls attacking kids.

I get so tired of hearing... "it's all how you raise them, that's all" Sorry but genetics are genetics, their environment may lessen or exacerbate those traits expressing themselves but they are still there.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #37
Jeff01S281
MW Resident Golf Pro #2

at Jay's screenshot

Snatch is a fvcking ghetto trailer trash dbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hollywood
I picture Roffy taking a big bong hit, then before he exhales, laughing to himself and saying to his pit bull "check out the stupid shiat I'm about to post now".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCC
It's funny, there are plenty of sh!t owners out there with all different breeds, the only common denominator is that pitbulls are the ones who primarily feel the need to attack and kill when they have a sh!t owner.
Jeff01S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #38
LSx
Custom User Title

While snatch is busy wearing out his keyboard, this took 10 seconds on google for stories just this year.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/nationa...ay-old-oh-baby

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...me-2535571.php

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...in-long-beach/

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS01/705219913

Snatch himself was on scene for this one, waiting patiently with a creepy look behind the nice black man ready to defend on camera this poor maligned creature...

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/i...shots/id_47312

Truly the Breed of Peace
Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
BlackVenom96
wants his 16k posts back.

Werent there 2 maulings like a day apart in the east bay a couple months ago, both by pits on young children.
MWGC #4006
BlackVenom96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #40
Nicoleski
I make boys cry.

Yeah guys, we dont need to drag up the same old pitbull argument and/or Snatch bashing sh1t. It's not helping, as I already said I wasnt getting a pit.