Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > V6 Performance

Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
fastford99

Smile 4.3 stroker smog question

any of you california guys ever do a 4.3 stroker from super six. will it pass the smog test? just want to know if i should bother trying or go through the hassle of registering it in another state.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Katter281
K20A2 4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford99
any of you california guys ever do a 4.3 stroker from super six. will it pass the smog test? just want to know if i should bother trying or go through the hassle of registering it in another state.
As far as I can tell, the only difference between smogging in California, or any other neighboring state is the "enhanced" smog test, and the requirement for CARB certified products. Since you can't exactly visually inspect a stroker rotating assembly for a CARB sticker, there's really no reason why simply running a stroker would cause you to fail. There are a couple caveats however...

First, *all* the original emissions equipment needs to be in place. That means any air pumps, EGR, PCV, catalysts, evap cans, or other emissions garbage must be in place...which sucks. But this is going to be more or less true in any state that has a smogging program.

Second, you didn't mention what parts would be used beyond the "stroker". Are you planning on running a crazy cam? Are you bolting on any engine parts that don't carry CARB stickers? And what kind of exhaust are you going to run?

The short answer is yes, it will pass the smog test because simply increasing the displacement by a half-liter ain't gonna affect your emissions much. I think the real issue is going to be the associated parts that go along with increasing displacement like that.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
fastford99

the cams not to crazy but its the one he suggested for supercharger applications. as far as the exhaust goes they have not kit me on it for the last two smog checks i got. its just mac shorty headers with an h pipe and dual cat backs. but just cause the last guy didnt say anything doesnt mean tthe next one wont.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Katter281
K20A2 4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford99
the cams not to crazy but its the one he suggested for supercharger applications. as far as the exhaust goes they have not kit me on it for the last two smog checks i got. its just mac shorty headers with an h pipe and dual cat backs. but just cause the last guy didnt say anything doesnt mean tthe next one wont.
I agree with the bolded part there. I think you may have just slipped past their radar

Do you have the specs for the cam by chance? Also, does the H-pipe at least have cats in it?

It sounds like you're running some stuff that's technically not legal in CA, so I think you're taking a gamble here. But if you've got those cam specs I could probably offer some insight as to whether it's going to cause problems with the sniffer or not...
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
fastford99

the h pipe does have cats i made sure to buy the on road stuff. as for the cam ill have to get the specs next week. im out of town on buisness right now.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
fastford99

got the specs from the website. 224/230 duration
lift .55/.55
rockers 1.7
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
fastford99

Thumbs up

and the answer was yes it will pass smog