Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 4.6L Performance

Old 10-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

2 different trans issues

over the past two years, it's been unclear whether my firewall adjuster has been slowly screwing itself back in as I drive, or if there is another reason I need to continuously tighten my cable. well, today I had my answer. I went to tighten it some more, and completely unscrewed the adjuster. does this mean that I have stretched the cable itself out, or does the culprit lie elsewhere?

another issue I have is that when the clutch is pressed all the way in, I hear a hissing/spinning sound. is this an indication of a bearing about to go?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
MooseGT35
Likes Oprah

Sounds like a stretched cable. Do you have a POS aftermarket cable? If so, put in a stock cable.
MooseGT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseGT35 View Post
Sounds like a stretched cable. Do you have a POS aftermarket cable? If so, put in a stock cable.
Nope, oem Motorcraft cable.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
03RedFireGT

What clutch? Mileage? Do you have the plastic quadrant replaced with an aluminum piece?
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedFireGT View Post
What clutch? Mileage? Do you have the plastic quadrant replaced with an aluminum piece?
Spec stage 1 clutch, upr triple book quadrant, upr firewall adjuster, oem cable. This entire setup has roughly 10k miles on it from when I did the trans swap.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
MonteCitan
Partying like it's 19-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
Spec stage 1 clutch, upr triple book quadrant, upr firewall adjuster, oem cable. This entire setup has roughly 10k miles on it from when I did the trans swap.
Never had a problem with my OEM cable.. Was it a new cable from when everything else went in 10k miles ago?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
Never had a problem with my OEM cable.. Was it a new cable from when everything else went in 10k miles ago?
Brand new
Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
03RedFireGT

Strange. I've had my Spec 3+ installed for 6.5 years, stock cable, Steeda adjuster and quadrant. Set it at that point, and haven't touched it since. Has not required routine adjustment. It's not a daily either, and sees maybe 3k miles a year.

Take off the inspection cover where the cable mates with the fork and see if anything looks out of place there. Won't get much of a view of the TOB/clutch, but it's a start to see if anything is loose in that department. Check the ends of the cable and see if it has started to fray.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

I don't think mine has the cover on it
Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

Well, I solved the cable mystery. I use a triple hook clutch quadrant and out the cable on the middle hook. As the cable has been passing through the hook closest to the firewall it's slowly been chewing away at it. It's currently more than 60% severed. I'm so mad, when I bought the quadrant I read about this issue and dremmeled the edges down so this wouldn't happen I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see if they'll warranty the cable. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

I was going to ask if you've checked both ends of the cable and I see you have now. Did you ever get any word on whether or not your cable is covered under warranty?
1/4 mile: 13.447 @ 99.75, 60' - 1.810
1/8 mile: 8.597 @ 80.94 (best 1/4 mph 101.69)
Founding member of BDRA - Budget Drag Racer's Association
96gts4.6L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

so I replaced the cable, modded the quadrant to prevent it from chewing up another one, and got it back on the road. but my trans woes persist. for starters, I'm having issues getting the car into gear when it is cold, and when I let the clutch out, I don't even feel the "snap" of it grabbing, it just grabs right away. it's almost as if I don't have the firewall adjuster tightened all the way, but I tried tightening it to the point I needed to use channel locks to turn it, same effect. when I push the clutch in, I can hear a whistling, spinning sound coming from the trans area, and if I slowly let the clutch out without it being in gear, there is a point when disengaging that I can hear a rattling sound. wtf is going on with my car
Old 04-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Sounds like you have both synchro issues and TOB issues. When is the last time you changed the trans fluid and what kind of fluid did you use?

When my car is cold, it's usually a little harder to put it in first gear. Otherwise it's okay. When you're having trouble getting it to go into gear, is the car still rolling or at a complete stand still?
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

the fluid was brand new when I did the trans swap in 2011, and it was royal purple. I've put maybe 10k miles on the car since the swap. the TOB I can see causing the spinning sound, but what about the issue where I can't tighten the cable down? that tells me it isn't necessarily a synchro issue, because shouldn't I theoretically be able to tighten the cable and pull the clutch in all the way?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Are you completely running out of adjustment, meaning, you've tightened down the firewall adjuster all the way, and it still doesn't seem tight? I bet your cable is stretched or is stretching when you apply pressure.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gts4.6L View Post
Are you completely running out of adjustment, meaning, you've tightened down the firewall adjuster all the way, and it still doesn't seem tight? I bet your cable is stretched or is stretching when you apply pressure.
no, I mean that I am tightening it to the point where I need channel locks to turn it any more, and it is tight, but the clutch grab point doesn't seem like it is "high" enough, it starts grabbing as soon as I let off the clutch. it is a brand new ford OEM cable.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #17
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

just re-read your question, I misinterpreted it. yes, I am running out of adjustment. the adjuster won't turn any more, not because it is extended all the way, but because of the pressure the cable is putting on it, it just has no more room to extend. I find this behavior odd, because like I said above, I thought you could theoretically just keep tightening the cable and eventually be able to "push" the clutch in by the adjuster. this limited range was not a behavior exhibited by the first clutch cable that I had, which is why I don't believe that I am having synchro issues, I believe i'm having a clutch issue or a clutch cable issue, compounded with the TOB issue.