Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > General Discussion > Clubhouse

Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Darius

Whole House Generator

I'm putting in a 20kw generator, whole house with automatic transfer switch... just incase

torn between the generac and the kohler models

Any experience? My electrician said the older generac were complete **** but the new ones are good. Reviews are hit and miss with generac but they seem to still be the most popular for some reason.

Whatchu ballers got?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Scud
> WMY

Arenít you in NJ?

Really worth it? I just upgraded to a 200amp service and had the electrician install a breaker and outdoor outlet for a portable generator.

In the rare instance I lose power I can power the essentials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCC View Post
There's more proof that God exists compared to global warming.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
2001SilverGT

Good experience with Generac when they used Honda engines. Not sure about quality these days. My friend got a Generac a few years ago, propane, loves it but I don't think he has ever had to use it for more than a few hours.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Scud
> WMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SilverGT View Post
Good experience with Generac when they used Honda engines. Not sure about quality these days. My friend got a Generac a few years ago, propane, loves it but I don't think he has ever had to use it for more than a few hours.
Thatís my point.

Is it really worth that investment? You can power essentials for several hours with a decent sized portable.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
beanbat

LMAO, do you retards live in the 1920s? I can't even remember the last time my power was out more than 2min.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Eric
Goatfvcker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbat View Post
LMAO, do you retards live in the 1920s? I can't even remember the last time my power was out more than 2min.
I have thought about it as a side project, more often tinkering with the idea of batteries with as a hybrid solar system, but it always seemed so wasteful. I have thought about the idea longer than my power has been out cumulatively.
Maybe when I get an electric car some OEM's will have their **** together and it will be able to hook into a house as a backup battery.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
SUMrTOY
AWPW n00b

Quote:
LMAO. Seriously. I live out in the sticks and am hardly ever out of power.
I bought a 5000w portable generator back when Hurricane Irene hit and I didnít even lose power while the entire state flooded. Even if we did lose power for a day (which I canít remember EVER happening), if you canít survive 24 hours without electricity, you should assess yourself.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
FRED-MATIC
Charles Bronson

Lived in S Florida 1983-2010. Went through Andrew in 92, and Katrina Wilma, and one other one in 2005.

Andrew we were out for 3 days, Wilma knocked power out in our area for 6 days.
Here in Palm Coast, Matthew last year power out for 4 days, and Irma for 4 as well.

Bought a used generator for $400 about a month before the hurricanes in 2005. It's a 5500-6000 rated IIRC. Powers the fridge, fans, a portable A/C unit and some lights.

I'd say for 14 days over 12 years without power, here in a hurricane prone area, it's not worth the cost for a whole house unit. Even with the convenience of not having to go fill up gas cans, extension cords etc.

Take a look in your own area, of how often you've been without power over the past decade, and make a judgement call if it's worth it

Advantage Auto Transport
954-254-0704
FRED-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
wiseguy

The problems with the older Generacs wasn't with the engine, but with the control boards. I had a friend who had one in his race trailer and had to replace the board. The replacement lasted about 10 or 12 hours before it died. The board was also several hundred dollars. Bye-bye Generac for him. He wasn't the only person I know of who had problems with them. I had a Generac in my old RV (1990), and it worked flawlessly for well over 1000 hours. Check out a few RV forums, and you should get an idea of whether they're reliable now.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 AM   #10
Mishkin
1%

in 2005 or around then we lost power for 11 days !
Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #11
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Arenít you in NJ?

Really worth it? I just upgraded to a 200amp service and had the electrician install a breaker and outdoor outlet for a portable generator.

I have an 8500 with hook up in garage for any issues.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
What would cause power outages in your area? Maybe a brown out?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #13
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001SilverGT View Post
Was told by a mechanic that Hoda is the best and Generac a close second these days.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
Scud
> WMY

Quote:

I have an 8500 with hook up in garage for any issues.
What brand did you buy?
Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #15
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
What brand did you buy?
Sorry, it's a 5500/8500 watt Wheelhouse generator made by Generac, my parents gave it to me because they bought a new Generac for their house.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...SABEgK0efD_BwE
Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #16
Scud
> WMY

Quote:
Sorry, it's a 5500/8500 watt Wheelhouse generator made by Generac, my parents gave it to me because they bought a new Generac for their house.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...SABEgK0efD_BwE
I haven't picked one up yet. Really it would be just for the fridge and other essentials.

It's cool though, on the new panel you switch off your main and then switch on the other one for the generator.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #17
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
I haven't picked one up yet. Really it would be just for the fridge and other essentials.

It's cool though, on the new panel you switch off your main and then switch on the other one for the generator.
Yes, the house I recently bought has the panel in garage, transfer switch.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #18
Darius

Quote:
Aren’t you in NJ?

This is a luxury I do not mind paying for. So for me, it's worth it.

With your option you'll have to store gasoline and you'll have to go outside and plug in and start the thing during rain or snow or whatever else. We're on over an acre here (very hilly) so clearing possible snow and transporting a portable generator to the appropriate spot is something I decided I do not want to have to do.

If you have city water and gas I guess it's not such a big deal but out here we're on well water and we have a stove with electronic ignition. So without power I literally cant even flush toilets or start my stove with a match.

There is always a cheaper way to do things, but that's not the goal here.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
berad001
I will rule you!

On account of aquariums I sell these things all the time through the electrician I use, I've also got a 11kw natural gas generac that takes care of essentials/livingroom/aquarium/utils/well pump. He only installs generac. Beyond the random weekly start up it does I've only really had it kick on once where it bailed me out. Two winters ago where a semi lost it and took out a pole down the street. Street was without power for a couple of days. Without having that thing I'd either have had to run the fireplace 24/7 or just check into a hotel and hope the house didn't freeze over, so I'd say well worth it for piece of mind.

That and it keeps ur aquarium safe
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #20
Darius

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad001 View Post
On account of aquariums I sell these things all the time through the electrician I use, I've also got a 11kw natural gas generac that takes care of essentials/livingroom/aquarium/utils/well pump. He only installs generac. Beyond the random weekly start up it does I've only really had it kick on once where it bailed me out. Two winters ago where a semi lost it and took out a pole down the street. Street was without power for a couple of days. Without having that thing I'd either have had to run the fireplace 24/7 or just check into a hotel and hope the house didn't freeze over, so I'd say well worth it for piece of mind.

That and it keeps ur aquarium safe
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about the project?

Did you find a turn key guy to do the install or did you buy the generator and hire a plumber and electrician to perform the install?

What did you pay?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #21
berad001
I will rule you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about the project?

Did you find a turn key guy to do the install or did you buy the generator and hire a plumber and electrician to perform the install?

What did you pay?
It was a while ago and it was the electrician I use on my jobs/a friend so the whole thing was wholesale and he installed it for next to nothing beer/pizza I want to say between 2000/2500. It isn't robust enough for the whole house.

I def wouldn't attempt installing one myself... he was into the gas lines, pulling apart the whole electrical box etc etc. Def get it pro installed. Some of the ones he does for my customers fully installed are in the 20k range @ 22kw whole house or better. Really the expense of the unit itself is just part of it, the install is pretty labor intensive.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #22
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
It was a while ago and it was the electrician I use on my jobs/a friend so the whole thing was wholesale and he installed it for next to nothing beer/pizza I want to say between 2000/2500. It isn't robust enough for the whole house.

I def wouldn't attempt installing one myself... he was into the gas lines, pulling apart the whole electrical box etc etc. Def get it pro installed. Some of the ones he does for my customers fully installed are in the 20k range @ 22kw whole house or better. Really the expense of the unit itself is just part of it, the install is pretty labor intensive.
Yeah, I think my parents said their quote for a whole house was around 18k installed.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #23
Scud
> WMY

Quote:
Yeah, I think my parents said their quote for a whole house was around 18k installed.
To each their own if you can afford it.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend $18k on my house.
Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #24
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
To each their own if you can afford it.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend $18k on my house.
They thought the same, going with a nice generac with electric start.

Something like this:
https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...ABEgJs3fD_BwE#
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #25
Darius

Quote:
Quote:

Wow.

I had a company through home depot come out and they quoted $9900 for 16kw half house and $12,100 for 20kw whole house. I thought that was high after looking up the model numbers for the generator they were planning to supply.

I found this place online and can get the 20kw whole house for ~4700 shipped. I called my electrician and plumber and the electrician quoted $2500 and the plumber quoted $1500. Misc permit fees plus a concrete pad and whatever ancillary expenses I'm missing and the whole house 20kw should be completed for right around $10,000

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p70167.html
Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #26
berad001
I will rule you!

Quote:
Wow.

I had a company through home depot come out and they quoted $9900 for 16kw half house and $12,100 for 20kw whole house. I thought that was high after looking up the model numbers for the generator they were planning to supply.

I found this place online and can get the 20kw whole house for ~4700 shipped. I called my electrician and plumber and the electrician quoted $2500 and the plumber quoted $1500. Misc permit fees plus a concrete pad and whatever ancillary expenses I'm missing and the whole house 20kw should be completed for right around $10,000

That def sounds like a good deal if possible.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #27
LUCC
Capt'n Morgan Time!

Quote:
Wow.

What's the size of your house/panel?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #28
Darius

Quote:
What's the size of your house/panel?
3200 sq. ft and 200 amp 40 slot panel.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #29
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Quote:
No, these folks live in the same retarded reality that you live in.

And it must be nice being perfect all the time....

I bet you take after this guy:

96gts4.6L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #30
Darius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gts4.6L View Post

don't feed the trolls
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #31
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Quote:
don't feed the trolls
Sorry, I can't help it. The dude has like no flaws. I mean, even the evironment around him in which he lives is perfect.

This dude has to be single as well, because I doubt there is a woman "perfect" enough for him.

Whatcha say Beanie?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #32
beanbat

Quote:

When's the last time you lost power for more than an hour, mongo? Or is your fear coming more from the perspective of you losing power and your wife flipping her shiit because the refrigerator turns off? Maybe instead of a generator, you could just stockpile hundreds of bags of potato chips to placate her. You'd probably have to hide them though and not tell her that you have them, for obvious reasons, so maybe that idea wouldn't work.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #33
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Quote:
When's the last time you lost power for more than an hour, mongo? Or is your fear coming more from the perspective of you losing power and your wife flipping her shiit because the refrigerator turns off? Maybe instead of a generator, you could just stockpile hundreds of bags of potato chips to placate her. You'd probably have to hide them though and not tell her that you have them, for obvious reasons, so maybe that idea wouldn't work.
Your insults are nothing, just like you.

During bad weather situations, yes, we can lose power for a few hours or even days depending on the severity of the storm. About 5+ years ago if the wind blew too hard our power would flicker or even go out, that has since been rectified and does not happen anymore.

And I see you are still avoiding the question......
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #34
berad001
I will rule you!

Pro tip/ if ur gonna argue with bean at least come prepared with some type of questionable mold growth experiment results and or graphs. Ur saying too much leaving yourself wide open for the raping
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #35
beanbat

Quote:
Your insults are nothing, just like you.

During bad weather situations, yes, we can lose power for a few hours or even days depending on the severity of the storm. About 5+ years ago if the wind blew too hard our power would flicker or even go out, that has since been rectified and does not happen anymore.

And I see you are still avoiding the question......
avoiding what question? The only question here is how much worse can your life get before you end up in a hotel in vegas looking through a scope.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #36
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Quote:
Pro tip/ if ur gonna argue with bean at least come prepared with some type of questionable mold growth experiment results and or graphs. Ur saying too much leaving yourself wide open for the raping

Damn, I'll have a better plan for next time...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #37
96gts4.6L
BDRA #000

Quote:
avoiding what question? The only question here is how much worse can your life get before you end up in a hotel in vegas looking through a scope.
Do you have a significant other, I've never heard if you do or not? Even if you do you'll probably lie about it like everything else.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #38
berad001
I will rule you!

Quote:
Hopefully he brings lots of full automated bumping clippers and book upon book of shots /scud
Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
beanbat

Quote:
Do you have a significant other, I've never heard if you do or not? Even if you do you'll probably lie about it like everything else.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #40
beanbat

Quote:
Hopefully he brings lots of full automated bumping clippers and book upon book of shots /scud
It probably doesn't matter since he could only get one shot off before the recoil shot him through the ceiling.