Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 5.0L Performance

Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
Cream Puff
Mod with Fox with Mods >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud
I understand, but what if everything was pretty much stock for the Cobra R? Pretty much like a clone. I just really hate cowl hoods I don't like how they interfere with the body lines.

Next big question is junkyard block or brand new from Ford?

if you arent going for stupid high hp numbers (800+) i would just get a junkyard block, you usually have to machine the new blocks too so you dont save much money in machine work by going new, if you were going 302 baised id say definately get a new boss block from ford, since the stocker cant hold much power, but the 351w blocks are fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky
She could be a serial killer, and I would still love her tenderly every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkin
Everywhere I go, I leave a trail of super models that are bow-legged and bruised.
Cream Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
modo
That Guy

unless you are going to spend the money to do it right with a really nice set of heads /rotating assembly / cam etc it is not worth the additional effort / $ / weight

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
Cream Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by modo
unless you are going to spend the money to do it right with a really nice set of heads /rotating assembly / cam etc it is not worth the additional effort / $ / weight

Quote:
Quote:
Everywhere I go, I leave a trail of super models that are bow-legged and bruised.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

if you just want the bragging rights of having a huge engine, my two cents says the modular 6.8 V10. screw saying you have a large displacement, you have a V10.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
Cream Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart
if you just want the bragging rights of having a huge engine, my two cents says the modular 6.8 V10. screw saying you have a large displacement, you have a V10.

and have it be slower than an h/c/i 302 and cost 3-6x as much, brilliant

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Cream Puff; 01-05-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #26
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

Quote:

Get out.
MRBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #27
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Bullitt

Seriously... GD modular people coming in here sticking their nose in $hit they know nothing about.

BTW, what did TeamSteedas 351 make? Did he ever say?
I'm looking at doing a 351-based stroker (393 or 408) myself. But I dont know if his was a stroker or not.
This Rotrex blower setup is pretty cool and fun on the Cobra and all, but I kinda think it'd be more fun with lots of inches and compression. Then maybe the Oinker could get this one-off blower setup along with a Dart block since its a much better car to look at than the red one. hahhaa

Last edited by MRBiggs; 01-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
Cream Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBiggs
Seriously... GD modular people coming in here sticking their nose in $hit they know nothing about.

BTW, what did TeamSteedas 351 make? Did he ever say?
I'm looking at doing a 351-based stroker (393 or 408) myself. But I dont know if his was a stroker or not.

in fairness modo and i hijack threads over there on a regular basis.. but at least we for the most part know what we are talking about, unlike the noob in this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
Cream Puff

hey did you guys hear something? must have been the wind

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
IRSmart
On a steel horse I ride

hey, he said that he wanted braging rights. well, even though it may not be as fast, which apparently isn't as important to him as evidenced earlier in this thread, a V10 SN95 would definately have some bragging rights.
Quote:
Get out.
and my opinion is just as important as yours, so go fvck yourself
Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #31
Cream Puff

Quote:
hey, he said that he wanted braging rights. well, even though it may not be as fast, which apparently isn't as important to him as evidenced earlier in this thread, a V10 SN95 would definately have some bragging rights.

bragging rights on what exactly? being expensive and slow?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
MRBiggs
Stroked Oinker

Quote:

Not in here its not.
Know why?

Because unlike yours mine is INFORMED.

BTW, just a little advice... its a tight knit group of long time posters in this area of MW. And besides pushrod motors, the one thing we have in common is that we dont do much other than troll the lounge and other rooms.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #33
Cream Puff

Quote:
Not in here its not.
Know why?

Because unlike yours mine is INFORMED.

BTW, just a little advice... its a tight knit group of long time posters in this area of MW. And besides pushrod motors, the one thing we have in common is that we dont do much other than troll the lounge and other rooms.

getting paid to troll ftw

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
modo
That Guy

there is a whole lotta luv in here

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
hnkstang50

cloud just to hit a few points... your check engine light goin on and off does not mean your motor is in need or replacement... its more likely a emissions device not working that you would be getting rid of when you swap to a 351 and then that light would be on all the time... also you say money is not a problem but i think you should sit down a price it all out before you dive into it cause if you need this as a dd and you run out of cash your goin to end up with a unreliable car to drive around. a 351 swap with nice parts can end up costing a good amount. also if you get a junk yard motor out of a truck or van and keep the stock heads, intake and cam its goin to be a weak motor.

stock computer will work with a tune, no big deal there.
93 cobra #2713

Last edited by hnkstang50; 01-05-2009 at 06:41 PM.
hnkstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #36
Cream Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkstang50
cloud just to hit a few points... your check engine light goin on and off does not mean your motor is in need or replacement... its more likely a emissions device not working that you would be getting rid of when you swap to a 351 and then that light would be on all the time... also you say money is not a problem but i think you should sit down a price it all out before you dive into it cause if you need this as a dd and you run out of cash your goin to end up with a unreliable car to drive around. a 351 swap with nice parts can end up costing a good amount. also if you get a junk yard motor out of a truck or van and keep the stock heads, intake and cam its goin to be a weak motor.

it should be noted also that it is ALWAYS way more than you think, if you think it will be 5 grand, budget for about 8.. and thank me later

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #37
Cream Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Bullitt
Absolutely.

NOTHING ever goes 100% perfect when tearing down a motor/replacing a motor etc.

There is always something that you did not expect.

i think what i should have said, is if you think it will be 5, budget for 8, so you arnt as mad when its 11

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #38
hnkstang50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Puff
i think what i should have said, is if you think it will be 5, budget for 8, so you arnt as mad when its 11
bingo.. i think i had close to 2k into my machine work on my block for the stroker when i build it... i thought it would only be around 500
93 cobra #2713
hnkstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #39
bolt-on-bandito
I hate YOUR hood

yeah, i am in that boat too. as far as HP, a mild cammed 351-408 can make 500HP pretty easy. good flowing heads, good compression, bingo.

just don't expect to use ANYTHING other then the block. sell the heads, intake, cam, etc.....

AND if/when you do this drop 1k on a DD jap car. other wise you will be losing your job/home, selling perform parts for bus fare.
SRP 19cc dish pistons, Eagle crank/rods,10.5:1 comp. .576 lift hydrauilic roller, MSD 6AL+Dizz, Moroso 7 quarter, 1/2" fuel lines, 750 edelbrock carb, BBK 1 7/8" LT's, Roush 200cc 2.05x1.90 heads. Victor Jr intake, 120Gph Mallory pump. Autometere's, sub frames, tube uppers, sportlines, 3:73's, 3091 lbs SN. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life! John 14:6. pm me for more info!!

Last edited by bolt-on-bandito; 01-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
bolt-on-bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #40
Cloud
Burger maker watcherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkstang50
... its more likely a emissions device not working that you would be getting rid of when you swap to a 351 and then that light would be on all the time... also you say money is not a problem but i think you should sit down a price it all out before you dive into it cause if you need this as a dd and you run out of cash your goin to end up with a unreliable car to drive around

Love the drama here

The light hasn't come on for a few days, so it was probably a misfire or something like that. So the light will stay on anyway? What if I keep the EGR system hooked up? It's been a while since I was in Autos class, but I thought EGR was mainly to stop engine from overheating? How much HP could it rob? What I plan on doing is putting more small stuff on it this winter, then next buying a DD and by then I will have started building up the motor- AFRs seem to be the head of choice, then what cam and intake?

2003 GT- 14" shorty antenna, 'running pony' floor mats, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back, MM FLSC, MM K-member Brace, Aerosmith license plate frame
WInter Beater: 1993 Grand Marquis

Quote:
Oiginally Posted by Sweetriverphil
The vikings wrote songs about women like her. They wrote them to sing to children who were misbehaving. One of the more famous ones roughly translates to, "The woman who lays with the black bear and makes the ground tremble will leak ass fluid all over your woven blankets"
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote