Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 5.0L Performance

Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Coil situation

I'm just curious as to how a coil can act up sometimes and not be totally bad?

For instance, I have had the MSD Blaster coil on my car for I would say at least 5-6 yrs and I also have always kept the stock one in my trunk. Sometimes out of the blue, which is rare I might add, if for some reason my car dies for maybe a reason of me ****ing up on the clutch or something while in first gear or backing up going from 1st to rear or rear to 1st for instance, if it dies and I go to start it back, it will sit there and crank crank crank but not start and I can switch out the coil and the car will fire right up.

I can go on like that for a yr or more lol. Also to point out, if I swap out the coil, I can switch back maybe 10 minutes later and the one I just took off would then work . I just think its wierd and thought when those things go bad they are just bad?
95 V6 converted GT/SALEEN. Trick Flow heads, E cam, FR 1.6 Roller Rockers , Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 intake, 24 lb injectors, Mac shortie headers, Basani X-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.55 gears, MSD 6AL with coil, subframe connectors, Mac Rear UCA'S/LCA'S, Hotchkis Caster Cambers, 18x9 and 18x10 inch saleen wheels with 265 35's on front and 295's on rear.

From6to8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
hnkstang50

if you stalled your car from bad driving your coil wasnt the reason it stalled. i prolly flooded itself and would not start. the time you took to swap out the coil prolly gave the car time to evap off the gas and it started again.

next time just wait and try to start it later (or hold the gas pedal to the floor... this prevents more fuel from being injected while cranking) i bet its not the coil
93 cobra #2713
hnkstang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkstang50
if you stalled your car from bad driving your coil wasnt the reason it stalled. i prolly flooded itself and would not start. the time you took to swap out the coil prolly gave the car time to evap off the gas and it started again.

next time just wait and try to start it later (or hold the gas pedal to the floor... this prevents more fuel from being injected while cranking) i bet its not the coil
when a car floods what does it take maybe 5-10 minutes before it will unflood enuff to crank?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
modo
That Guy

heat is usually the culprit

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
hnkstang50

Quote:
Originally Posted by From6to8
when a car floods what does it take maybe 5-10 minutes before it will unflood enuff to crank?
how long does it take you to change the coil
93 cobra #2713
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnkstang50
how long does it take you to change the coil
how long does a car stay flooded before it will crank and start?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
hnkstang50

Quote:
Originally Posted by From6to8
how long does a car stay flooded before it will crank and start?
like i said how ever long it takes you to change the coil seems to be enuff because it starts for you. i bet it floods from your tune being off just enuff

thats just what i think is happening... you dont stall from leting out the clutch too fast and then at the same time have to coil go bad... doesnt make any sense
93 cobra #2713