Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 2005+ Mustang

Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
ForTheHordeKT

2006 transmission fluid check?

Just got me a 2006 GT last month. During the test drive I pulled it into my brother's garage, much to the amusement of the sales kid riding along with us and we proceeded to pop this thing up on jackstands to give this thing a full shakedown before I committed to the purchase. Checked the oil, looked under there to gander at the suspension and see how the tires were wearing and whether suspended up on the jacks they were still solid and immovable, all the sensible stuff you try to check out to see how well a used car was taken care of. One thing we couldn't find was a transmission fluid dipstick, and of course the sales kid was either too ignorant about it to know or just didn't want to tell us. It drove just fine and trust me, I drove it pretty hard just to push it. Shifts just fine so I'm not too concerned about it although I would have preferred to see its level and smell the fluid to see if it warranted a changing.

Further research into it told me that with the 05+'s, we've got sealed transmissions now. Just that little plug on the bottom that they inject the fluid into. I'm a little thorough when it comes to acquiring used cars. Even if it looks like all the fluids were just changed I still prefer to change the oil and filters myself, the coolant, all of it. And I can't do this with the transmission, obviously. I'll take it in somewhere once I get the cash to have the transmission fluid done, but I'd really prefer to get away with doing it myself. Near the bottom of this place some folks say they can get away with checking and servicing it themselves withe a "lubrimatic" fluid quart pump, obviously the progress of this would be much slower than that 30psi injector the ford techs have to squirt the sh*t up in there. My question, has anyone here had any success doing their transmission fluids themselves to save some cash or is it just smarter to mdub the cash up and take it in to the dealer? I guess I'm just stubborn in the opinion of you want it done right, get it done yourself.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
ForTheHordeKT

Whoops. No edit button yet for this noob. I never pasted in the link to that place I was referencing. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...d-level-2.html About post #25 some dude chimed in with text taken from a tech manual about the dealer tech methods, and someone was mentioning doing the same thing with the "lubrimatic" pump. You can get these little hand pumps for like $12 and if it doesn't fit the bottom of that drain plug a simple trip to Home Depot can get you the proper size of fitting to attach on there.