Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 5.0L Performance

Old 01-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Ideas for Painting Power Steering Bracket while still in Engine Bay

I don't want to take loose the power steering hose and have to worry about bleeding it and all of that extra work so I have the power steering pump, ac compressor and stuff just sitting on a jack stand right now and I'm going to just paint it under the hood where it is since the heads and stuff are removed. Trouble is I won't spray paint it in the car because I dont think it will come out right with the comprimises of some space and getting all of the cracks and such plus having to mask everything. With that said i was thinking about a brushing it on but then I wonder how it will look with brushing and the potential of having lines in it and also it becoming a thicker piece Im not sure how that will look. I also want to paint the power steering pulley as well. Any other bright ideas and thoughts let me know please.

also have seen some people paint the power steering housing black. I might paint that as well
95 V6 converted GT/SALEEN. Trick Flow heads, E cam, FR 1.6 Roller Rockers , Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 intake, 24 lb injectors, Mac shortie headers, Basani X-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.55 gears, MSD 6AL with coil, subframe connectors, Mac Rear UCA'S/LCA'S, Hotchkis Caster Cambers, 18x9 and 18x10 inch saleen wheels with 265 35's on front and 295's on rear.

From6to8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
modo
That Guy

if the sn ps pump is the same as the fox you can take the bracket off without removing the hoses. the pulley has to come off then when you unbolt it the bracket will separate from the pump. you can then leave the pump / hoses in the engine bay

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by modo View Post
if the sn ps pump is the same as the fox you can take the bracket off without removing the hoses. the pulley has to come off then when you unbolt it the bracket will separate from the pump. you can then leave the pump / hoses in the engine bay
yeah i will probably just go ahead and remove the bracket and pulley and paint it out of the car.

im thinking about getting this cam from this guy, he is going to re-grind mine and also going to sell me a set of springs since I broke one of mine. He has a business in Texas and knows all of my specs so he is going to do it and send them to me and I will take the springs to the machine shop.

I'm skeptical about doing it since I'm doing all the work myself. First Head work for me as well but that wasnt too bad getting them off and I have read up on how to's. Is the cam removal/installation bad? I just watched a video and it didnt look bad. I changed the timing gears myself already so I'm comfortable with removing the timing cover and such but never removed the cam itself. Any special points of emphasis?
95 V6 converted GT/SALEEN. Trick Flow heads, E cam, FR 1.6 Roller Rockers , Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 intake, 24 lb injectors, Mac shortie headers, Basani X-pipe with 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.55 gears, MSD 6AL with coil, subframe connectors, Mac Rear UCA'S/LCA'S, Hotchkis Caster Cambers, 18x9 and 18x10 inch saleen wheels with 265 35's on front and 295's on rear.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
modo
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by From6to8 View Post
Is the cam removal/installation bad? Any special points of emphasis?
no.

radiator needs to be removed and the a/c condenser removed or swing it out of the way if you don't want to open the a/c (assuming it has ac)

goto lowes / home depot and buy a 12" or longer 3/8"-16 bolt (pretty sure thats the thread).... screw that into the cam gear bolt hole on the cam as it will give you additional leverage. be gentle and keep it as straight as possible.

when installing the new one lube it up with assembly lube or at least oil and slowly install it with the same bolt.

93 GT
66 Coupe
modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
no.

radiator needs to be removed and the a/c condenser removed or swing it out of the way if you don't want to open the a/c (assuming it has ac)

goto lowes / home depot and buy a 12" or longer 3/8"-16 bolt (pretty sure thats the thread).... screw that into the cam gear bolt hole on the cam as it will give you additional leverage. be gentle and keep it as straight as possible.

when installing the new one lube it up with assembly lube or at least oil and slowly install it with the same bolt.
ok

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
no.

well that would require someone holding it up though right lol? or not? If I could move to the side i guess that would be better but i will know later on when i start messing with it. I'm bout to go out in bout an hr and start cleaning the block and stuff up.

Now I'm thinking hell since I'm at it I might as well go ahead and change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal provided that's something that doesnt require a whole lot of maneuvering and junk and space to get up under there comfortable up on jack stands .

so is that something that's not bad for a novice to that level? I mean i am a novice to the heads also being first time messing with the heads. Or will I be better letting my engine swap mechanic coming and pull the motor and take to his shop and change those things or if he can do at my house he can do it here but i'm asking if you think its too extensive that it would be night and day pulling the motor and changing outside the car?

I wont be able to pull it myself with no hoist or stand and would have to borrow that stuff plus would need help with knowing what all has to come loose from the tranny, ect so really dont wana pull the motor myself but would watch him do it so i would know for next time

Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
n20capri
AscMcLaren Capri #26/115

The engine has to come out to get the oil pan off...so yeah wait 'til it gets pulled to do that stuff...
86 AscMcLaren Capri #026/114 | 11.2@123
86 Mustang SVO |14.0@97 | 19psi
My Website

79-86 Dash Pad Repair Tech
S-Box Install Tech

Custom center caps, vinyl decals racing #'s etc
www.baldguydesigns.net

Want your car on a T-shirt? - CLICKY CLICKY
n20capri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
From6to8
95-6to8,converted Saleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
The engine has to come out to get the oil pan off...so yeah wait 'til it gets pulled to do that stuff...
ok another dilema I encountered a few minutes ago. I could have sworn people were saying after removing the PS pulley and then the three bolts, the bracket would be free. Well not on mine. It appears the AC compressor is still attached somehow so i'm about to look in the manual and online if i dont find it in ref to have to remove it, where the bolts are. Must have been a fox thats setup differently as to what they were referring to.
also, when i started today i noticed some fluid on the concrete beneath the ps pump and ac compressor and im thinking its ps fluid but it looked rather light colored on the cement and inside the ps reservoir it looks dark. I think if you put some on your hand though it will be light so i will check it. I'm wondering how the dam fluid leaked out as the bracket and everything was propped up by a jack stand and everything was in its usual position. Will wipe the hoses and stuff and everything and clean up that fluid and see if tommorow its more on the floor and inspect stuff

and what do you guys think about the cosmetic gaskets for 93 bucks from summit? Are they reusable over and over?