Mustang Forum - Mustang World

Mustang Grilles, Mustang Windshield banners, Mustang Bumper inserts and more at MW Speedshop.com

Go Back   Mustang Forum - Mustang World > Technical Discussion > 4.6L Performance

Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Need Help Passing Emissions....

Hello everyone,

Is anyone familiar with how long it takes that computer to recycle in my 02 GT? Unfortunately, it had been sitting since last Thanksgiving up until a little over a week ago. I've put over 400 miles on it (mostly highway) over the ast seven days, and I have put two fresh tanks of 93 in it; one of which had this "Guarrantreed to Pass Emissions Test" formula in it. Low and behold I have failed my emissions test TWICE NOW! I have passed my emissions test three times with the same setup previously. I have not made any changes at all. The only difference is that this car has been sitting for about 8mths unfortunately....

While it was sitting I kept it on a battery tender and I had a full tank of fuel in the car fuel stabilizer as well. The car seems to be running fine to me. I am not seeing any codes and have no issues driving the car. I just can't seem to pass this stupid test. A friend of mine said I should unhook my battery, re-hook it, and then continue driving it. Any help and advice will be appreciated. I can email anyone pics of the emissions slip showing the test information. I thought I could attach it here, but looks like I need a URL. Thanks in advance.
323.6rwft-lbs

You think you can keep up w/me? Others have wrecked trying! '06 Gixxer 1000 and '16 KRT ZX-10R.
GSXRIntensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
03RedFireGT

Chicago Emissions have changed greatly Jan 1 2014.

Start reading here. If you have removed the Cats and disabled the O2's in your tune, you will fail no matter what.

http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/fo...in-HERE/page15
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Hey 03,

Long time no see man. Thanks for this link. I went through it a fare bit and see what you mean. Every single one of mine are showing "not supported." I would go back to the shop that did it; Sutton HP in Matteson, IL, but they are no longer there.... I have cat eliminator pipes on my Stang right now, but I still have the cats, and quite possibly my O2's as well. If I put them back on, do I still need to find a tuner to switch these things on or will putting on the cats an the O2's be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedFireGT View Post
Chicago Emissions have changed greatly Jan 1 2014.

Start reading here. If you have removed the Cats and disabled the O2's in your tune, you will fail no matter what.

http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/fo...in-HERE/page15
323.6rwft-lbs

You think you can keep up w/me? Others have wrecked trying! '06 Gixxer 1000 and '16 KRT ZX-10R.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
03RedFireGT

Another Sutton orphan... Synister just went through hell getting his Sutton tuned turd through emissions. Hopefully he will chime in soon on what he ended up doing. If the O2's are turned off in the tune, there is no way it will pass.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
synister281
World Series Champs Cubs!

Theres no way around it, I have a Sutton tune as well. Love my tune, but can't modify it now that they aren't in business anymore. You can go get it re-tuned by someone else and have them adjust it, or the only other way to get around it is to get a race car or show car exemption through the IEPA.
Mikey P ~~MWTHJ #020~~MWV6M Founder~~
2004 Ford Mustang GT - Vortech SC'd, Sutton Tuned, 365rwhp
1971 Ford Mustang Mach1 - 351 Cleveland, Ram Air, 285hp
2016 Ford Escape TITanium - 2.0L 4WD Turdbo

PS3 - synisterDMA

MOLLER HEALTH SERVICES > obamacare
synister281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedFireGT View Post
Another Sutton orphan... Synister just went through hell getting his Sutton tuned through emissions. Hopefully he will chime in soon on what he ended up doing. If the O2's are turned off in the tune, there is no way it will pass.
Well, they are definitely turned off at the moment.
323.6rwft-lbs

Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by synister281 View Post
Theres no way around it, I have a Sutton tune as well. Love my tune, but can't modify it now that they aren't in business anymore. You can go get it re-tuned by someone else and have them adjust it, or the only other way to get around it is to get a race car or show car exemption through the IEPA.
Synister, who did you go to? How do I get a race/show car exemption through IEPA? What steps do I take? I've been M.I.A. for too long honestly and definitely appreciate the help.
323.6rwft-lbs

Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRIntensity View Post
Synister, who did you go to? I definitely appreciate the help. I got the form from the IEPA about the show car registration. Tell me though, do they keep pretty hard tabs on you for driving it, and what kind of trouble would I be in if I was pulled you over on the street with it not having been to a show? Thanks.
323.6rwft-lbs

Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
GSXRIntensity
best car mod = GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by synister281 View Post
Synister, who did you go to? I definitely appreciate the help. I got the form from the IEPA about the show car registration. Tell me though, do they keep pretty hard tabs on you for driving it, and what kind of trouble would I be in if I was pulled you over on the street with it not having been to a show? Thanks.
323.6rwft-lbs

Old 08-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
synister281
World Series Champs Cubs!

To your Private Messages dude,
Mikey P ~~MWTHJ #020~~MWV6M Founder~~
2004 Ford Mustang GT - Vortech SC'd, Sutton Tuned, 365rwhp
1971 Ford Mustang Mach1 - 351 Cleveland, Ram Air, 285hp
2016 Ford Escape TITanium - 2.0L 4WD Turdbo

PS3 - synisterDMA

MOLLER HEALTH SERVICES > obamacare
synister281 is offline   Reply With Quote